Friday, November 7, 2008

Please, stop with the remakes already...

The film industry is really struggling to come up with original ideas these days, that is not news. They have been rehashing the same shit for years, but in the past decade, I'm sure you can agree, it has completely gotten out of hand. When a director runs out of new ideas I think he should just hang up his hat, you know? Sure, there have been a few good remakes, but most are absolute shit. You would think some movies are not possible to remake. That is not the case, nothing is sacred anymore. I learned about two remakes today. Two remakes that have absolutely no business being made. The first one is MTV's remake of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now, personally, I was never a big fan of this particular cult classic, but that doesn't mean I don't hold a certain amount of appreciation for it. This will surely be a travesty of epic proportions. The second, and this one hits me where it hurts, is Oldboy. This is my favorite foreign film and Steven Spielberg wants to make it with Will Smith. I can't see how those two could even begin to broach the subject of remaking this film. I don't even feel like talking about it, I just hope neither of these films gets made.

No comments: